Now that it’s spring and the weather is warming up, most of us will be planning some lovely long walks with the dog. Whilst out and about, it’s possible to come across an Adder basking in the sunshine as they emerge from their hibernation dens.
But would you know what to do if your dog was bitten by one?
The European Adder is the only venomous snake found in Britain. They live in moorland and are fairly common in areas of rough, open countryside and on the edge of woodland habitats. Adders have a venomous bite although they are not generally aggressive and only usually attack in self-defence. This tends to be if they are trodden on or if your dog appears to be threatening them.
Adders are identified through a dark zigzag running down the length of the body and an inverted 'V' shape on the neck although some are completely black so may be mistaken for some another species.
How do I know that my Dog has been bitten?
Swelling at the site of the bite – sometimes two small puncture wounds are evident in the middle of the swollen area
Bites are most common around the face and throat which may cause breathing difficulties. Limbs are also targets so limping and swelling are other signs
Pain around the site of the bite– e.g. pawing, shaking the head
Other signs include: drooling, vomiting, restlessness and drowsiness
If left untreated the dog’s condition may progressively worsen. This includes: collapse, tremors or convulsions
In some rare cases a dog may suffer anaphylactic shock after being bitten. The signs are quite dramatic and usually appear quickly after the injury. Signs include breathing difficulties, collapse and a rapid but weak pulse
What to do if your dog is bitten?
Seek veterinary attention
If possible carry your dog to prevent the spread of venom going through the circulation
Bathe the wound in cold water or use an ice pack on the swollen area to reduce the pain and swelling
Keep your dog warm to combat and treat shock
There is an anti-venom treatment available and your vet may use this as part of the treatment
Fortunately, most dogs survive provided they receive the correct treatment and prompt veterinary attention
So if you are walking in an area where Adders inhabit, make sure your dog is under control. Knowing the signs of an Adder bite is important as well as having some idea of how to administer first aid.
I am a qualified Registered Veterinary Nurse (RVN) and Association of Behaviour & Training Council (ABTC) Registered Clinical Animal Behaviour Counsellor. I am also a full member of the Association of Pet Behaviour Counsellors (APBC). I have a special interest in education and hold a recognised professional teaching qualification. I am available for one to one behaviour consultations, covering problems with dogs, cats, rabbits and parrots. I also offer CPD courses to the veterinary profession, pet professionals, local RSPCA centres and pet owners. Courses include: Animal First Aid, Animal Behaviour and other animal care related topics.